Saturday, 28 August 2010

The Damage of Lies

A friend of mine, Tiffany Bailey, has recently started a brand new relationship advice blog, and a few days ago she wrote a post about lying in relationships. You can read the post by clicking here.

Tiffany's post got me thinking about how lies affect a relationship and while I was replying to it I realised how ridiculouly lucky I have been in my own relationships. The two long term relationships I was in were with men who were both completely honest. Well, when I say completely, I'm sure they told me that my bum didn't look big and that my new haircut wasn't as horrific as I thought, but you get the idea. They never lied about anything that would damage our relationship.

*pauses to think about why I broke up with them - but that is a story for another time*

Lies are a strange thing. We all tell them sometimes but, when does a small lie turn into something bigger? Have a look at this article: The Difference Between a Lie and a Little White Lie and tell me your thoughts in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. It is incredible how much damage a lie can do in a relationship. As you know, I am still dealing with this in my current "relationship". I have lied to him about the ice cream, why dinner wasn't cooked (Of course not honey, I was not playing Yoville all day), or why the laundry wasn't done. As far as lying about other things to him NEVER. If I didn't want to be with him anymore, I simply would tell him. Lies can ruin self esteem. If only men understood the consequences when they spoke. Great post Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the thing men just don't get - even when they aren't doing anything wrong they still lie which makes us THINK something is going on even when it isn't! Telling the truth is really not that hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Lying can do great amounts of damage.

    ReplyDelete