Thursday, 23 September 2010

Would you date someone your friends hate?

Many years ago, I made an epic mistake when I began dating someone my friends hated. But he was good looking, charming and fun so I figured it would be an interesting experience! It certainly was an experience. My friends LOATHED him to the point when they began to distance themselves and even try to do things to come between us. You know what it's like though, the more people try to pull you apart, the closer you get. It all ended quite badly, but even though my friends were adamant that they were right and I was wrong, I would still date someone my friends hated because ultimately, it is my choice (or mistake) to make. Read more about my thoughts here: Would You Date Someone Your Friends Hate? I Would.

5 comments:

  1. You're right. You're different people and the reason your friends hate him may be something that doesn't concern you. For example, the stereotypical pretty girl who gets interested in a geek only to find her friends telling her how gross he is, but he grows up to be a sweet and intelligent man who can handle responsibility and hold a job, unlike most of their boyfriends. If she listens to her friends, she'll pass up a good person based not on HER impression, but her FRIENDS' superficial opinions.

    You often don't know the motivations behind your friends' hatred, so it's best to make your decisions yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most certainly would. It is my happiness at stake and often friends come and go. Actually my former best friend dated a slew of terrible men (all of which I detested!) and had no luck with any of them. I did try and warn her, but "love is blind" as they say. I have current friends that dislike Matt, and yet I am still living with him. Ultimately it is about what is best for me. If they can't understand it, well then tough cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zona - You're so right. Too many people listen to the opinions of others at the expense of their own feelings and may then end up letting go of the right person based on what their friends have said.

    Kendall - I agree completely! Particularly about the "love is blind part" LOL! But yes, your choices are entirely your own and whether your friends like your boyfriend or not, they should respect you enough to accept your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had friends who dated people I didn't like or thought they weren't good enough for my friends, but I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to jeopardize my friendship by being so negative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fine line to tread. It can't hurt to mention something if it is really bothering you, but listening to the other side is equally as important. And if you can't think of the right thing to say, it's probably best not to say anything *lol*

    ReplyDelete