Tuesday, 5 April 2011

D is for Distance

Warning: This isn't really a happy post. Feel free to skip it, I won't be offended! Normal service will resume tomorrow!

Distance in a relationship can be either physical or mental. Long distance relationships are happening a lot nowadays as so many people are meeting through the internet. I sometimes think a physical distance is a little easier to deal with than emotional distance. When you are far away from the one you love, you miss being able to have a good morning kiss and to just have someone to hold you on the hard days. That is gut-wrenching, but at the same time, you have the hope that one day you will be together properly and everything will be just as you want.

Emotional distance is a lot tougher to overcome sometimes. One minute, you think everything is fine and you and your partner are on the exact same wavelength, then suddenly you have absolutely no idea what is going on in the other person's head. You want to talk about it, but they don't, or they tell you nothing is wrong when it is obvious that isn't the case. So, you keep quiet and hope it blows over. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

The fact is, if you are a talker and you partner refuses to discuss anything, you may have to just accept that is the way things are or break it off and find someone who understands why talking is so important.

12 comments:

  1. I never thought of calling that "emotional distance" but it's very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think I may be able to write an article on the topic as well as this post! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic and YES!! write the article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I just have to figure out an angle, but it sounds like a good idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emotional distance can definitely be tougher than physical distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly can, Lyn! Personally, I find it to be the hardest thing to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emotional distance can be really difficult, since to make a relationship work you need communication.

    Debbie and I took 2 1/2 years from the time we met online until I moved back to the UK from Florida. During that time we could only be together during school holidays, so really only every 3 months, and it was really hard.

    Thank goodness for email, low cost international phone cards, and Skype! The great thing is that we got to know each other so well while we were apart, that it left no doubts that we were made for each other.

    2 days until our 1st wedding anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how time flies! Congratulations on your anniversary, I hope you do something special to celebrate - you both deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a little about this. My husband is an over the road trucker. Sometimes I'm glad, because I'm a writer and I value the quiet days. Other times I miss him.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son is a U.S. Marine who is often stationed away from his family. For him, it's the emotional and physical distance that hurts. Skype helps, but there's really nothing like a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, physical distance is defintely hard too. :( My other half works away also, so I know how it goes :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Write the article! You will reach many people who can identify with this and feel better because they know you understand.

    I met you through A-Z Blogging Challenge. My blog is http://www.betterthanordinary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete