Friday, 15 April 2011

M is for Marriage

Reasons You Shouldn't Rush into Marriage

It's unfortunate that these days, many people seem to look at a marriage with the belief that it comes with an easy way out. I'm not anti-divorce or anything, but I do believe that they shouldn't be the quick answer when things get rough. A divorce should be a last resort.

Sadly, people seem to rush into marriages so they can have a big party, only to find that married life might not really have been what they wanted after all.

I've never had that "must get married right now" urge. I've been in long term relationships before, and I thought that maybe one day I would get married but it was never a race for me. A girl I knew at college was determined that she would get married, and was actually engaged to two different men with a pretty short gap in between. She was someone's wife by the age of 20, and thankfully, it worked for her.

It's not getting married young that irks me though. It's the rush. And the belief that marriage vows are something which can just be taken back when you get bored of them. Maybe I am old-fashioned, but if and when I get married, it will be to someone I have taken the time to get to know, and with the belief that it will last forever. Things may not work out how I hoped, but at least I will know that I went into my marriage with the right attitude.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! You have a great attitude about marriage. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike...I plan to write on marriage today too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lot more cavalier about it. I look at marriage as a contract between two people. If one of the parties changes the terms or defaults on whatever their part was supposed to be, then either re-negotiate the contract or cancel it.

    I'm 46, been married 3 times, this last time 12 years. My grandmother is 93. Her husband died over 35 years ago and because of the way he treated her, she will never entertain being involved with a man again.

    In her day, women didn't get divorced, but I can't help but think she has lived her entire life hating men because of one bad experience.

    I've lived almost my entire life, loving men- a lot of them, on different levels. I think I'm the luckier one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting for the "right one". I am the only one of my cousins (except the baby who is 15) to not have been married at least once yet. I am not anti divorce either, but I don't want to have to walk down that path. If I never get married, it will be all the same to me. Right now I am living with my boyfriend of almost 3 years and it feels like a marriage, minus the papers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely a lot easier to get married than it is to get divorced. There is so much bad feeling after a divorce. It's often better for a couple to live together and to be sure before getting married.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I married young, but I knew, really KNEW that he was the right guy. And he was...and is...almost 30 years later. :O)

    My “M” post is right here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/medical-marijuana.html

    ReplyDelete